This page is designed to explain the ‘Risk of Flooding from Rivers and Sea’ data hosted in our map-based platform Land Explorer. This data indicates the risk of flooding for particular area.
What is this data?
Risk of Flooding from Rivers and Sea shows what you might expect – the chance of particular parts of land flooding. It’s collected and published by the Environment Agency. Each 50m² cell is allocated to one of four risk categories, taking into account flood defences.
Why is it useful?
If you want to set up a project it’s crucial to know the likelihood of flooding. This can tell you whether land might be unsuitable for your purposes, and also help inform site planning.
- High Risk Area: The chance of flooding from rivers or sea in this area is greater than once every 30 years
- Medium Risk Area: The chance of flooding from rivers or the sea in this area is between once every 100 and 30 years ( 1 – 3.3% ).
- Low Risk Area: The chance of flooding from rivers or the sea in this area is between once every 1000 and 100 years ( 0.1 – 1% ).
- Very Low Risk Area: The chance of flooding from rivers or the sea in this area is less than once every 1000 years ( <0.1% ).
How do I use/ interact with it?
This data is pretty simple – it gives a quick approximation of how high the flood risk is for a particular area. You can use it to identify areas you might have to exclude from your search, or to figure out site planning, for example where to put infrastructure on site.
What are its limitations?
- It is England only
- Owen Boswarva’s excellent Open Data Discovery Guide on UK Flood Risk and Flood Management
- If you want real time flood data check out www.floodalerts.com
- License: Open Government License (OGL)
- Information provider: Environment Agency
- Attribution statement: © Environment Agency copyright and/or database right 2015. All rights reserved. © Crown copyright and database rights 2014 Ordnance Survey 100024198
- Title of the information resource: Risk of Flood from Rivers and Sea (AfA379)
- Date it was published: 30/09/2015
- Link to the information: https://data.gov.uk/dataset/risk-of-flooding-from-rivers-and-sea1